BBC Executives conspire to pull invitation to Bob Crow to appear on tonight’s Question Time with Boris Johnson

TRANSPORT UNION RMT today slammed the BBC’s Question Time for “outrageous political bias” after an invitation to General Secretary Bob Crow to appear on the programme this eveningwith London Mayor Boris Johnson was withdrawn at short notice.

Question Time editorial staff cobbled together the pathetic excuse that Bob Crow was pulled from the show “because he appeared on Any Questions?” last week - even though Johnson appeared on exactly that same show where Crow wiped the floor with him

RMT believes that, in the week when he announced a lethal package of £7.6 billion in tube and transport cuts, it was Johnson and his officials at City Hall who demanded that Bob Crow be dropped from the programme. Johnson is notoriously afraid of public debate with Bob Crow and once ripped off a microphone and stormed out when Channel 4 News attempted to bring the two together.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:

“There is no question that I’ve been pulled from this week’s Question Time because of a political intervention at the highest level within the BBC which is yet more evidence of the Corporation bending the knee to this Government and the Tory Party.

“The argument that this is about me appearing on Any Questions? last week is total garbage. Boris Johnson appeared on the same Any Questions? and yet he is still on the Question Time panel. It is clear that there is one law for the Old Etonian Johnson and another for a working-class trade union leader when it comes to the BBC - that stinks.

“The week after more than half a million people marched on the streets of London the people of this country have a right to hear the London Mayor and the tube union leader debate and discuss his cuts plans. Boris is running scared of that debate and the BBC executives are holding his coat - that is disgraceful bias and makes a mockery of the BBC Charter.”

> RMT National News

Thursday, 6th August
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay from Friday (tomorrow) to Saturday (August 8).
Wednesday, 5th August
RMT has rejected plans to introduce Driver Only Operation (DOO) on the new East West Rail line following confirmation that Chiltern Railways intends to operate services on the new route without a second safety-critical member of staff, despite RMT’s long-standing opposition to DOO.
Friday, 31st July
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay next week on Friday August 7 to Saturday August 8.
Friday, 31st July
OFFSHORE union RMT is deeply concerned by the reports surrounding BP’s future in the North Sea and the potential impact on more than 1,000 skilled workers, their families and communities.
Thursday, 30th July
Rail union RMT said that outsourced cleaners and catering workers at TransPennine Express (TPE) will take 48-hour strike action against low pay from tomorrow (Friday, July 31).