RMT Slams Another Savage Attack On Tube Jobs

THE TUBE’S biggest union today slammed as “savagery” another huge tranche of up to 800 job cuts announced by London Underground

As LUL today revealed that it intends to sack another 400 staff and to leave a “similar number” of vacancies unfilled, on top of the 800 station staff already earmarked for the axe, RMT said its stand for jobs and safety had been completely vindicated.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said:

“Today’s announcement means that another 800 jobs are on the line with even more to go, and it underlines the depth of the crisis that the Mayor and LUL have plunged the Tube network into.

“These cuts have nothing to do with ticket offices, they are pure savagery and it shows that all the warnings we have made over the last year were absolutely right.

“It seems that Mayor Johnson is even intent sacking some of the managers who have helped him to try to break our strikes.

“We have said from the start that the 800 jobs cuts previously announced were the thin end of the wedge, and once more we have proved to be right.

“We now have 1,600 jobs under threat even before the government’s spending review, and LUL has made it clear that even more will be in the firing line when Peter Hendy’s Project Horizon review is published next year.

“RMT and our colleagues in TSSA have been right to fight to save Tube jobs and safety, and we will continue to do so.”

> RMT National News

Friday, 26th June
Rail union RMT and the Trades Union Congress have jointly called on the government to intervene to protect skilled rail engineering jobs under threat at Balfour Beatty depots in Crewe and Preston.
Monday, 22nd June
Transport union RMT, has called for the Labour government to radically change course, after Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced a timetable to stand down.
Friday, 19th June
An RMT spokesperson said:
Thursday, 18th June
RMT members employed by Carlisle Support Services, working on the Northern rail contract will continue their long-running dispute over pay by taking 48 hours strike action from Saturday.
Tuesday, 16th June
Rail union RMT, will take strike action at Heavy Haul Rail Ltd on Thursday 25 June for 48 hours, after the company refused to rule out compulsory redundancies as part of a major restructuring programme.