RMT Slams Another Savage Attack On Tube Jobs

THE TUBE’S biggest union today slammed as “savagery” another huge tranche of up to 800 job cuts announced by London Underground

As LUL today revealed that it intends to sack another 400 staff and to leave a “similar number” of vacancies unfilled, on top of the 800 station staff already earmarked for the axe, RMT said its stand for jobs and safety had been completely vindicated.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said:

“Today’s announcement means that another 800 jobs are on the line with even more to go, and it underlines the depth of the crisis that the Mayor and LUL have plunged the Tube network into.

“These cuts have nothing to do with ticket offices, they are pure savagery and it shows that all the warnings we have made over the last year were absolutely right.

“It seems that Mayor Johnson is even intent sacking some of the managers who have helped him to try to break our strikes.

“We have said from the start that the 800 jobs cuts previously announced were the thin end of the wedge, and once more we have proved to be right.

“We now have 1,600 jobs under threat even before the government’s spending review, and LUL has made it clear that even more will be in the firing line when Peter Hendy’s Project Horizon review is published next year.

“RMT and our colleagues in TSSA have been right to fight to save Tube jobs and safety, and we will continue to do so.”

> RMT National News

Thursday, 6th August
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay from Friday (tomorrow) to Saturday (August 8).
Wednesday, 5th August
RMT has rejected plans to introduce Driver Only Operation (DOO) on the new East West Rail line following confirmation that Chiltern Railways intends to operate services on the new route without a second safety-critical member of staff, despite RMT’s long-standing opposition to DOO.
Friday, 31st July
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay next week on Friday August 7 to Saturday August 8.
Friday, 31st July
OFFSHORE union RMT is deeply concerned by the reports surrounding BP’s future in the North Sea and the potential impact on more than 1,000 skilled workers, their families and communities.
Thursday, 30th July
Rail union RMT said that outsourced cleaners and catering workers at TransPennine Express (TPE) will take 48-hour strike action against low pay from tomorrow (Friday, July 31).