RMT Slams Another Savage Attack On Tube Jobs

THE TUBE’S biggest union today slammed as “savagery” another huge tranche of up to 800 job cuts announced by London Underground

As LUL today revealed that it intends to sack another 400 staff and to leave a “similar number” of vacancies unfilled, on top of the 800 station staff already earmarked for the axe, RMT said its stand for jobs and safety had been completely vindicated.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said:

“Today’s announcement means that another 800 jobs are on the line with even more to go, and it underlines the depth of the crisis that the Mayor and LUL have plunged the Tube network into.

“These cuts have nothing to do with ticket offices, they are pure savagery and it shows that all the warnings we have made over the last year were absolutely right.

“It seems that Mayor Johnson is even intent sacking some of the managers who have helped him to try to break our strikes.

“We have said from the start that the 800 jobs cuts previously announced were the thin end of the wedge, and once more we have proved to be right.

“We now have 1,600 jobs under threat even before the government’s spending review, and LUL has made it clear that even more will be in the firing line when Peter Hendy’s Project Horizon review is published next year.

“RMT and our colleagues in TSSA have been right to fight to save Tube jobs and safety, and we will continue to do so.”

> RMT National News

Wednesday, 29th July
Rail union RMT said that 24-hour strike action on East Midlands Railways will go ahead on Saturday August 1 after the company refused to withdraw faulty trains and talks collapsed.
Wednesday, 29th July
Rail union RMT has announced further strike action by Avanti West Coast members at Manchester Piccadilly station on Saturday August 1 over the unfair dismissal of a colleague.
Tuesday, 21st July
RMT members working at East Midlands Railway (EMR) plan to take strike action on Saturday, August 1, and the following two Saturdays over growing safety concerns that the company has failed to address.
Friday, 17th July
RMT has suspended three days of strike action on Merseyrail planned for July 18 to 20 after the company made an improved offer.
Wednesday, 15th July
RMT members working in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) have voted to accept a negotiated pay offer that delivers significant improvements to pay and conditions.